For Immediate Release
From 1968 to 2010: Cobra Jet Heritage of Legends This Weekend at Carlisle PA Fairgrounds
Presented by Ford Motor Company and Carlisle Events
Tuesday, June 01, 2010
CARLISLE, PA – Carlisle Events and Ford Motor Company will flex Cobra Jet drag racing muscle at the June 4-6, 2010 Carlisle Ford Nationals. Attendees can expect to see the full spectrum of Ford’s world-famous Cobra Jet race cars and drivers, past and present.
For over 40 years, Cobra Jet Mustangs have been scoring consistent racing victories, one eighth- and quarter-mile at a time. Along with four of the original classic NHRA-dominant 1968 Cobra Jet race cars from yesteryear, there also will be modern examples of the CJ representing both the 2008 and 2010 model years. In recreating the original drag-racing legend for competition today, Ford followed up its 2008 feat of building a limited run of 50 turn-key Cobra Jet race cars for the track with another updated offering of 50 Cobra Jets for 2010 all finished with white exteriors.
This year Ford will be showcasing Ford Racing's 2010 Cobra Jet #1 workhorse, the only one produced in silver exterior paint, and truly the ultimate factory drag racing machine. This single extreme example, custom-developed by Ford Racing engineers, has been built to embody the pure muscle of Ford performance.
Carlisle Events’ Ford Nationals Event Manager, Rick Markko, explains, “The Carlisle Ford Nationals will be rocking with excitement as the legendary Cobra Jets will be here in Carlisle to strike the pose of a lifetime! The heritage continues as the Cobra Jet race cars and their drivers gather together for one more blast, quite likely en route to the Hall of Fame!” Markko continues, “Brian Wolfe, former Director of Ford North American Motorsports, will be leading the charge of the Cobra Jets at the Quarter Aces Drag-O-Way. He joins past drag racing greats Al Joniec, Phil Bonner and Sam Auxier along with current racers, Don Fezell and Erich Bollman and Jim Ronzello to show you the performance levels of these awesome race cars.”
Cobra Jet Heritage of Legends Display Vehicles
- 2010 Mustang Cobra Jet (Silver #1 Workhorse) – Factory Vehicle
- 2010 Mustang Cobra Jet (White FR500CJ)
- 2010 Mustang Cobra Jet (Daddy Warbucks III)
- 2008 Mustang Cobra Jet (Conv. 5.4 Supercharged) – Factory Vehicle for CJ Program
- 2008 Mustang Cobra Jet (Christiana Muscle Cars)
- 2008 Mustang Cobra Jet (Daddy Warbucks II)
- 1968 Mustang Cobra Jet (Daddy Warbucks I)
- 1968 Mustang Cobra Jet (Rice Helman - Al Joniec)
- 1968 Mustang Cobra Jet (Red)
- 1968 Mustang Cobra Jet (White)
Cobra Jet Heritage of Legends Special Guests
- Brian Wolfe, Former Director of Ford North American Motorsports
- Jim Ronzello, Engine and Power-train Development Operations & Chief Test Driver, Ford Racing
- Erich Bollman, Owner of Christiana Muscle Cars and Bollman Racing
- Lee Holman, President of Holman Moody, Inc.
- Don Fezell, Current Drag Racer
- Al Joniec, Legendary Drag Racer
- Phil Bonner, Legendary Drag Racer
- Sam Auxier, Jr., Pro-Stock Drag Racing Champion
- Arlen Fadely, Legendary Drag Racer
# # #
Journalist note: Information about Carlisle Events, its event listings, auction offerings and the Carlisle Expo Center is available to journalists by phone:
717-243-7855 ext. 133
# # #